Tue, Sep 20|
Sustainability Committee Public Meeting
Come and share your ideas or concerns.
Time & Location
Sep 20, 2022, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Middletown Townhall, 31 W Main St, Middletown, MD 21769, USA
About the event
Meeting discussion items:
1. August meeting minutes approval
2. Green Lecture series with library (Ann) – Mosquito Control talk with Dr. Leisnham to be rescheduled; other talks planned including one from Karen Whitehair!; IPM series?
3. Outreach sub-committee report
4. Website updates (Gene) – terms and conditions disclaimer; connections page;
5. SMC recertification – application revisions submitted Sept. 16th; award ceremony Oct.11th am – Annapolis;
6. Bee City USA – need to start working on IPM for next year’s submittal
7. Pollinator demonstration gardens – Village of Foxfield eyebrow and circle planting; pollinator garden care and watering schedule; Cone Branch Pocket Park pollinator planting next spring.
8. Compost project – bin site at Memorial Park maggot issue; compost bins available for purchase at municipal center;
9. Lunch Out Of Landfills – haven’t heard when MES is going to start food recovery program this fall
10. Tree plantings – tree planting maintenance schedule (see below); Ben Fritton tree planting offer; Cindy received $4,200 grant for the fall tree planting; Silvoculture grant for fruit and nut trees (Ann);
11. Tree trails – Bethany, forestry board member, joined us to help with tree id on Cone Branch trail; still stumped on exact species of chestnut and hickory. New trees to add to Wiles Branch tree trail – white ash and black willow.
12. Tree City USA – Cindy is starting to look into actions to complete for next year’s Growth Award
13. Gift Tree Program – flyer boxes at Wiles Branch Park, Memorial Park and on Cone Branch Trail – please monitor as you frequent those areas; Loraxers to discuss revamping program.
14. Recycling event – during Bulk Trash Day on October 8th 8am-11am– metal, textiles, paint cans collected in parking lot behind Municipal Center; volunteers are needed for this event; MVB shredding event is October 1st so we are advertising as week-long event to residents.
15. Heritage Festival – Saturday, September 24th – we are sharing table with Kaia Wynne; volunteers needed!!!
16. Rain barrels – Frederick County Career & Technology Transitional Skills class project is not happening
17. October meeting date – third Tuesday – October 18th