Tue, Jan 17|
Sustainability Committee Public Meeting
Time & Location
Jan 17, 5:00 PM
Middletown Townhall, 31 W Main St, Middletown, MD 21769, USA
About the event
Meeting discussion items:
1. December meeting minutes approval
2. Green Lecture series with library (Ann) – Holiday Greenery decorating program – huge turnout; January 21st @ 1:00pm – Electrify Everything with Kathleen Rall and Barb Trader; Karen Whitehair program in March!
3. Outreach sub-committee report – Pollinator protection yard signs or door-hangars
4. Little Seed Library – any follow-up discussion?
5. Website updates (Gene) – terms and conditions disclaimer; connections page.
6. Green Expo – Saturday, April 22nd – sent out Save-the-Date email – good response so far
7. Bee City USA – we might just use the resolution we currently have for the IPM requirement
8. Mayor’s Monarch Pledge – will plan to re-pledge for this year
9. Pollinator demonstration gardens – Memorial Park garden plant theft and response; Village of Foxfield eyebrow and circle planting; pollinator garden care and watering schedule; budget of $2,000 – spent $1,200 in 2022.
10. Compost project – compost bins available for purchase at municipal center – 3 sold last week!
11. Lunch Out Of Landfills – FCPS (through Travis Tracy) pays Key City Compost invoices
12. Tree plantings – tree planting maintenance/inventory schedule (see below); Ben Fritton tree planting offer; SilvoCulture grant for fruit and nut trees (Ann); Arbor Day tree planting will be Friday, April 28 th in pm
13. Tree trails – Bethany, forestry board member, joined us to help with tree id on Cone Branch trail; still stumped on exact species of chestnut and hickory. New trees to add to Wiles Branch tree trail – white ash and black willow.
14. Tree City USA – Cindy submitted the Tree City annual report, as well as the Growth Award application
15. Gift Tree Program – flyer boxes at Wiles Branch Park, Memorial Park and on Cone Branch Trail – please monitor as you frequent those areas; another new application came in!
16. Utility work in Glenbrook and impact to street trees -
17. Recycling event – will look to continue program biannually with next event on March 11, 2023.
18. No Idle Zone – discussion
19. Trex plastic bag collection - discussion
20. Streetlight program – discussion
21. Volunteer thank you luncheon for committee – end of January/early February
22. February meeting date – third Tuesday – February 21st