top of page
Tue, Oct 18|
Sustainability Committee Public Meeting
Come and share your ideas or concerns.
Time & Location
Oct 18, 2022, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Middletown Townhall, 31 W Main St, Middletown, MD 21769, USA
About the event
Meeting discussion item s:
- September meeting minutes approval
- Green Lecture series with library (Ann) – Mosquito Control talk with Dr. Leisnham to be rescheduled; other talks planned to include one from Karen Whitehair!; IPM series?
- Outreach sub-committee report
- Website updates (Gene) – terms and conditions disclaimer; connections page;
- SMC recertification – award ceremony Oct.11th in Annapolis;
- Green Expo – date for next year – proposing Saturday, April 22nd (Thurmont’s is 4/15; tree planting for Friday, April 28th)
- Bee City USA – need to start working on IPM for next year’s submittal
- Mayor’s Monarch Pledge – annual report due December 1st!; plan to talk to Kaia soon
- Pollinator demonstration gardens – Village of Foxfield eyebrow and circle planting; pollinator garden care and watering schedule; Cone Branch Pocket Park pollinator planting next spring.
- Compost project – compost bins available for purchase at municipal center;
- Lunch Out Of Landfills – haven’t heard when MES is going to start food recovery program this fall
- Tree plantings – tree planting maintenance schedule (see below); Ben Fritton tree planting offer; Cindy received $4,200 grant for the fall tree planting; advertising Oct. 21st tree planting event; Silvoculture grant for fruit and nut trees (Ann); Nov. 2019 tree planting along Middletown Parkway is at a 93% survival rate!
- Tree trails – Bethany, forestry board member, joined us to help with tree id on Cone Branch trail; still stumped on exact species of chestnut and hickory. New trees to add to Wiles Branch tree trail – white ash and black willow.
- Tree City USA – Cindy is working on actions to complete for next year’s Growth Award
- Gift Tree Program – flyer boxes at Wiles Branch Park, Memorial Park and on Cone Branch Trail – please monitor as you frequent those areas; Loraxers to discuss revamping program.
- Recycling event – during Bulk Trash Day on October 8th 8am-11am– metal, textiles, paint cans collected in parking lot behind Municipal Center; event was a big success; next year adding electronics recycling thru The Buddy Project; thanks to Karen, Mark, Sean, Agnesanne, Bill and Ann for volunteering!!
- Heritage Festival – follow-up discussion
- November meeting date – third Tuesday – November 15th
bottom of page